The General Institute of Kume Souseikai History
The Kume Shisei-byou is a facility with a sanctum devoted to Confucius, the founder of Confucianism, and his disciples (Four Disciples) Yan Hui, Zenzi, Zisi, and Mencius. The Kume Shisei-byou was constructed in the Kume district of Naha.
The royal government approved Kume-mura Souyaku Shikin Taifu Kin Seishun’s request to King Sho-tei to establish a Confucian shrine near the Izumizaki Bridge in Kume-mura. It was financed by both private donations and public funds. Additionally, the statues of Confucius and his four disciples were erected in 1676. The Sekiten ritual began the same year and was observed twice yearly in February and August of the lunar calendar continuously until World War II.
After the Meiji era, the shrine had undergone a number of nationalization processes and had been donated to the Naha district and to the General Institute of Kume Souseikai before it was completely destroyed in WWII.
The ruins of the sanctuary was an expanse of 2,645 sqm surrounded by stone walls and fukugi trees. It was situated close to the Naha Chamber of Commerce on Japan National Route 58. An attempt to restore the Shisei-byou was nullified by Highway 1, which bisected the properties, constructed by the U.S. military. The forefathers of Kume-mura chose a location that had been the former site of the Tenson-byou in the Wakasa district to resurrect the Shisei-byou. In 1975, Tenpi-gu, Tenson-byou and Taisei-den were constructed on this site. However, the Kume-mura residents had long pined for its return to Kume. Finally in 2014, with the cooperation from Naha city, the reconstruction project commenced in Kume, 69 years after the war and 38 years after its restoration in Wakasa.
The first ritual of Sekiten at the newly established Shisei-byou took place on September 28, 2013. Additionally, the rites of Keiseishi, which had been suspended by the war, resumed in formality as well as in name.
Click “Access” for directions.